Tuesday, August 30, 2011

More Wedding Plans!


The blog is behind for a number of reasons.  The first is that I was super busy over the weekend and didn’t get a chance to write any posts until yesterday.  Although Hurricane Irene had not prevented my from having electricity, she had knocked out my internet, so making blog posts available took a bit longer than I would have liked.

Back to the business of the weekend!  The primary reason for the pilgrimage back to Vermont that my fiancé and I made over the weekend was to meet with the priest in her parish.  He usually likes to meet with couples in order to reserve the church for their wedding.  It was actually a very helpful meeting because he let us know some of the things that we need to do in order to get the ball rolling.  There are a couple things we need to take care of.  Because I am a baptized, non-Catholic Christian, we will be entering into what is known as a “mixed marriage”.  Because of this, we need to get special permission from the bishop in Burlington.  I also need a certificate, proving I have been baptized.  Additionally, because Brianna’s uncle will be officiating (conveniently, he is a priest) and is from outside of Vermont, he will need to get in contact with both the diocese of Vermont to be allowed to perform the ceremony in a religious capacity and the county to be allowed to perform the ceremony in a civil capacity.  Luckily we’re thinking ahead so this shouldn’t be a big deal.

On to the fun stuff:  Brianna bought her dress after trying it on again and getting her dad’s approval.  We also ordered our wedding bands.  I went with a simple titanium band (secretly I know that it’s made of titanimite, a rare allow of titanium and dynamite) and Brianna will be getting two bands made to go on either side of her engagement ring.  We were fortunate to be able to meet with the custom designer and she came up with a number of beautiful designs.  We’ve also started talking about flowers and photographers!  Luckily we’ll be headed back to Vermont a couple more times to get even more of the planning out of the way.
The next steps that we need to get out of the way are to get the pre-marital counseling done and to start tackling the guest list.  The guest list is a little daunting because we will have to balance the people that we want to attend, the people that we are somewhat obligated to invite, the people that our parents want to attend as well as logistical and quasi-political concerns.  I would prefer to keep the number as reasonable as possible but with two large families and fair number of close family friends I doubt that we will be able to have less than 200 people in attendance.  The unfortunate reality of a wedding is also that we’ll never be able to invite everyone we want to come and everyone who wants to come.  There will be some tough decisions, to be sure, but in the end I know that it will all work out.

I am more excited than ever about getting married to Bri.  I can’t wait for the wedding and it’s less than 9 months away!  There’s a lot to do but we have plenty of time and are well ahead of schedule.  It’s hard to believe, but I think it will be more awesome than the following picture:
-Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment